- As a <role/persona/actor>
- I want <goal / value>
- So that <benefit / importance / reason>
- (and including a list of acceptance criteria, to test that the goal / value is delivered)
As a parent of teenagers,
I want a tidy house,
So that I feel comfortable inviting guests into our home.
Acceptance criteria: floors clear of debris, clothes in drawers or cupboards, beds made each morning.
- Card – stories are short enough to fit onto an index card
- Conversation – details about the goal are clarified through conversations
- Confirmation – the business and technical team are in agreement on what is expected of the completed story (definition of done, acceptance criteria)
(developed by Ron Jeffries)
- User Stories (Mike Cohn, Mountain Goat Software) and his Better User Stories video series (paid)
- Essential guide to user story creation for agile leaders (Yvette Francino, TechBeacon)